Well, I've Never Been to Brasil.


Well, I've never been to Brasil... Chicago was eliminated in the first round of voting today. I was shocked, stunned, and sad, not so much about not getting the bid (which is still disappointing) but that we didn't make it out of the first round! 4th out of 4? Come on now, what's that all about? I really thought Chicago had a legitimate chance and that the final vote would be between Rio and Chicago. If Chicago had been defeated in the final, ok, I can handle that, but 4th really sucks. We're not even on the podium...

What I don't understand, is how Americans, in and outside Chicago, some of my friends included, were so strongly opposed to hosting the Games. Why don't you want to invite the world to the greatest city on earth? Take pride in your city, state, and country and host one of the most magical experiences anyone can imagine- for athletes and spectators alike. The Olympic Games have an energy that's hard to describe with any other word than Spirit. It's electric, it's alive, and it lives in the athletes competing, and any spectator will be able to feel it. As an athlete, having the Games in your hometown and having the opportunity to represent your country and city on the world's stage can only be topped by a win in your hometown, on the ground you grew up on.
"The traffic would be terrible!" Is a shitty reason to so adamantly oppose the Games. "Well, where would I park my car? There would be SO many people here, I don't know if I could handle it." So leave! And take your negative attitude with you. Typical Americans only thinking of themselves. Saying you don't want the Games is like saying you don't want to win the lottery because you'd have to pay taxes on all that money. (Dave actually came up with that one.) So to all those people out there that didn't want to deal with (more) foreigners in their city, you got your wish, so shut up now.

After recovering from what felt like a punch to the stomach, I started thinking about it a bit more. Rio will do a great job. They obviously have something to offer that the IOC liked. The Games have never been in South America, the people are passionate, and from what I hear they put on a great PanAmerican Games in '07. They even have a big Jesus! After (North) America hosting the Games, South America is the next best. Our coach made a good point today- the further the Euros have to travel, the better it is for us. Everything is in Europe, so they can't travel well. All we'll have to do is hop a quick flight south, there's no jet-lag involved for us, we wouldn't need to travel a week before (or we could just do prep camp down there). And I heard the food is good down there too. I think Rio will benefit a lot from this win, and it'll really put them in the world's spotlight. Pressure makes diamonds, and I think Rio will come out shining bright.

Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will never die. -Daniel Burnham
I really like this quote, but wasn't sure how to incorporate it in my post. I wanted to share it with all of you.

Comments