The Vagrant Life


I left North Carolina six weeks ago with an unconfirmed plan for housing. As it turns out, it's best to have confirmed housing plans before moving. (Who would've thought?) Because that was not the case, I've been that friend who couch surfs and moves from friend's house to friend's house. Everyone has been super welcoming and helpful, whether it's by offering a bed, couch space, dinner, or even a place to leave my car (which is packed to the brim with my worldly possessions.) 

Now, don't get me wrong, living out of a suitcase, sleeping in guest rooms and cashing in friendship chips has been a great adventure but it isn't the most glamorous or stress-free life. I have learned some lessons along the way, some more poignant than others but lessons nonetheless. 

In no particular order:

1. Clothes doesn't need to be washed as often as you think.
2. Contradictory to point #1, do laundry whenever possible because you don't know when you'll have a chance later.
3. You can't be poop shy. If you gotta go, you gotta go. You don't really have a "home" toilet to go to anymore.
4. You really only need a few pieces of clothes.
5. Building and packing a bike has become way, way easy- 12 minutes for the last pack up. Boom.
6. Dressing as a hobo for Halloween, using clothes you've been wearing on a regular basis, is both excellent and sad.
7. As Clark has told me before, being on the road isn't so much about what's different, but what's the same- you always get up and eat breakfast, brush your teeth, get dressed, ride bikes, do your work- no matter where you are.
8. Thank the universe for direct deposit, online banking, and online bill pay!
9. Each place I've stayed has shown me something new, taught me lessons, and helped me grow as a person. 
10. I have one tremendous network of friends around the country. Everyone- and it's been a LOT of people- has offered to help in any way they can. For that, I am appreciative beyond words.

Comments