2014 Para-cycling Track World Championships

The UCI’s Para-cycling Track World Championships took place in Aguascalientes, Mexico last week, 4/10-13. The track in Aguascalientes is currently the world’s fastest track, and was host to an able-bodied world cup earlier in the season. With a roster of 16 athletes- some veterans and some rookies- Team USA was ready to rock and roll at the first major track competition since the London Paralympic games in 2012. 



image
My focus going into these world championships was the 3km Individual Pursuit. It compliments the road time trial well and is, masochistically, an event that I enjoy. It had been several years- 2009 track worlds in Manchester, ENG- since I’d ridden what I considered a “good” pursuit. After a solid block of track training in Colorado Springs, CO and at the Velo Sports Center in Carson, CA, the times were steadily coming down and I was feeling more and more comfortable on the track. By the time we got to Mexico and rode the track in training, I knew conditions would be ripe for fast racing and lots of records to be broken. First up on my competition schedule was the 500m TT, a race that I don’t train specifically for and have had mixed results with in the past. Since it was the first day of competition, we decided it would be a good opportunity to take the line with no pressure, to get the feel of the start gate, and to open up the legs before the pursuit. I rode a full second faster than my previous best and finished up 6th against some very fast girls- the world record was broken for the first time since 2007!

Saturday- pursuit day- rolled around and I was feeling great. The hot, dry air and altitude of Aguascalientes, and the blistering temperatures inside the velodrome hardly phased me. After a good warm up, I took the start against a rider from New Zealand who is a very good pursuiter. Things went exactly as planned and I was able to ride to a 3:46.1 and qualified 3rd to ride for bronze that afternoon against the same rider from New Zealand. Being able to set a new PR and American record was a huge monkey off my back as it was something I’d been working at but had fallen short many, many times. 

That afternoon, I had an abbreviated warm up due to the heat of the track- afternoon sessions regularly were 105°F or more- and the morning’s ride. I wanted a medal so, so badly and knew it was within reach. All I had to do was exactly what I did in the morning- ride steadily and try to build into the race, mentally breaking my opponent in the process. On the start line, my coach Andy said to me “You want this medal more than she does, go take it” and hearing those words was the extra fire I needed to ride even faster than the morning. I couldn’t hear a single split, the crowd blended together, the lap counter was blurred, but I knew I was riding well. My legs felt great and mind was laser focused on winning a medal. Each lap I chipped away at the time, gaining on my opponent until I was close enough to see her on the same straightaway. That was all I needed to get the last bit out of my body to make the catch with one lap to go, winning the match and the bronze medal. When the catch happened, the gun went off and I instinctively sat up knowing the race was over. Now though, I wish that I’d kept going as Andy told me afterwards that I was on pace for a 3:41.0 and only had one lap to go! Knowing that I have that type of ride in me is a huge confidence boost and now, going into the road season, will help me to suffer even more knowing that that effort is there. And hey, soon enough I’ll get that 41 for myself. 
image
WC5 Pursuit Podium (Credit: Eamonn Deane)

I am always so proud to represent the US in competition. Being able to contribute to the medal count is a special opportunity. In total, Team USA came home with nine medals, the most of any American track world championship team, with two gold, two silver, and five bronze medals.

image
Myself, Jamie W., and Allison J. after our pursuit podiums.

Huge thanks to Felt bikes, Catlike helmets, Speedplay, Oakley, SRAM, US Paralympics and Twenty16 Pro Cycling for the support and making this medal possible!

Comments